Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Why 2:50??

With apologies to JFK:

But why, some say, 2:50?
Why choose this as our goal?
And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain.
Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic?
Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to run under 2:50. We choose to run under 2:50 at Houston '08 and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.


And yes, the lowly Rice Owls
take on the goliath University of Texas this weekend.


JFK at Rice Stadium announcing the goal to go to the moon.

1 comment:

GB said...

Can I say Holy Sheet? 2:50! Nuke, if anyone can do it, you can. How inspiring you are. Okay, maybe I will rethink my goal and go for a 3:20 after all. Hmmm. I was thinking of bagging that and just finishing in less than 3:29:19 (my boston time). But I want to try harder.