Monday, September 3, 2007

Quit Whining and Do Your Best with what You Have

Days since last run less than 70°F: 129 (April 27th)

41¾ miles for the week
M – 0 (rest), 79.8°F at 4AM
Tu – 4¾ miles, average pace 7:45 mpm, the ankle is still feeling OK, 79°F at 4AM with a Lunar Eclipse distant lightning and Orion [Dow]
W – 5 miles, shaking out the cobwebs during the three middle miles, average pace 7:11 mpm, middle miles in 7:06, 6:56, and 6:42, 79.7°F at 7PM and mostly cloudy [B’Wood Track]
Th – 5 miles, average pace 8:09 mpm, recovery run with a fast mile stuck on at the end...I was coming up to my house and saw another runner turn down the street in front of my house, so I had to keep going and pass them. After I passed them I realized I had to go around the neighborhood again for another mile, 77°F at 4AM [Dow-/B-S]
F - 7 miles, average pace 7:30 mpm, 89°F at 12:30PM, sun and some shade from the clouds [SeaC/NTrail/SeaC]
Sa – 7, average pace 8:44 mpm, sunny 85°F at 3:40PM [SeaC/NTrail/SeaC]
Su – 13, average pace 7:29 mpm, nice even pace, slightly negative, the SeaCenter portion was 15:28 going out and 15:13 coming back home, 76°F to 77°F starting at 7AM [SeaC/NTrail-3x2M/SeaC]

I was really happy with Sunday's medium long run. I've been doing a lot of whining about it being too hot, and about not being able to finish my Sunday long runs. But it was too hot because I wasn't starting until after 11. Finally I got my whiny butt out of the house earlier and I had a much more productive run. I was still soaked in sweat, but my shoes didn't go soggy until the 10th mile. It was the upper 70s and my glasses kept fogging over, but that's much nicer than the upper 80s or low 90s.

I was motivated by Houston's Melissa Henderson. She ran the IAAF World Championship marathon in Osaka, representing her native Belize. I followed the race on the web, and she really struggled through the race. The temperature was 77°F with a dewpoint of 73°F at the 7AM start and rose to 88°F with a dewpoint of 75°F at 11AM. Melissa struggled through cramps and finished. I've been reading her blog and was surprised how positive she was about the race. I think that positive attitude is what I need to emulate. She's a real fighter.

Picture from:
Rompres

Short video

1 comment:

Wonderduck said...

Wow, I did not know Melissa was running in the Champs! That is fantastic.

I love your countdown of days passed since having a run in sub 70 weather. I just hope the countdown ends sometime soon.