Thursday, September 23, 2010

The End of Summer and the Beginning of Marathon Training

The sun says summer is over, but the weather hasn't agreed yet. But there is hope. A strong cold front is expected to come through late Sunday. From the NWS:
THE AREA IS STILL ON TRACK TO SEE A COLD FRONT MOVE THROUGH THE AREA SOME TIME SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. EXPECT DECREASING RAIN CHANCES BEGINNING LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON UP NORTH...AND THEN AREA WIDE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY MONDAY MORNING. A NORTHERLY FLOW AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT IS ANTICIPATED FOR MUCH OF NEXT WEEK...AND THIS PATTERN WILL BRING COOLER TEMPERATURES (ESPECIALLY WITH OVERNIGHT LOWS) TO THE ENTIRE AREA. THE COMBINATION OF A REINFORCING FRONT OR TWO AND THE CIRCULATION AROUND NEWLY FORMED TROPICAL DEPRESSION FIFTEEN (LIKELY SOON TO BE BECOME TROPICAL STORM AND POTENTIALLY HURRICANE MATTHEW) COULD POSSIBLY KEEP A VERY DRY FLOW ACROSS SOUTHEAST
TEXAS THROUGH THE END OF NEXT WEEK AND ON INTO NEXT WEEKEND. HELLO FALL!

It's supposed to be in the 60s Tuesday morning,, even down here along The Gulf!


Just as summer ends, marathon training begins. With the Houston Marathon on 30 January, the 18-week training period begins on Monday the 27th. The cool weather should arrive just in time. I think I'm ready to start some serious training. I've been running over 50 miles per week for about a month now. But it has all been very slow due to the hot and humid weather. I have no idea if I can pull off another fast marathon. I'm worried I will crash during the Space City 10-Miler. 10/10/10 is coming up so fast.

1 comment:

ANGrunner said...

I was thinking about the 10 miler the other day. By now I’ve had a few long runs and tempo run in by now. Not sure I’m ready for the 10 miler.